Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Santo Rik Pablo and The Reckoning

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/23474476/

What is a game? A game can be anything you want it to be. Some people make a game out of life, some out of love, some out of money, and more yet out of running. Running is a game, but started as a method of transportation and survival. Early man would often run across vast stretches of wilderness with hyenas in pursuit, desperately pumping his leg muscles in a struggle for survival. But did this survival really mean anything? Why did early man choose to run, and not become food for the hyena? The hyena could very well need the food that the man would provide it, and could die without this man's flesh. So the hyena is also in a fight for survival. Why then, does the man choose to deprive the hyena and instead save himself? The answer is remarkably simple: he wants to win.

We all just want to win. That is the essence of a game. Winning.
My favorite game is the game called Music. Back when I first started playing Music, I wasn't sure how one was supposed to win. I remember asking myself "this music thing sure is fun, but how do you win?"
The question troubled me for a long time, until I began to realize that the people who in my eyes were "winning" music were often also the people making the most money because of it.

Then it hit me. Money. It's all about money. I really had begun to question the whole point of music and art in general, until I realized it was all about the recognition. There is no point in self-expression unless people like what they see enough to pay you to do it again.

Creating Santo Rik Pablo and the Reckoning was a challenge because the game either ended up too easy or too hard and it was very difficult to get it at a reasonable level of difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment